"Why don’t we change the way sunglasses are made -- you know... make them better?"
We were started with the vision that the sunglasses industry could be something different.
There were enough cheap, generic plastic shades out there polluting our oceans. Maybe it was time for something sustainable, something eco-friendly and beautiful from start to finish.
The people agreed, and we met our 2012 Kickstarter goal in 3 days! 2500 days later the idea of sustainable eyewear seems to have taken root and grown like, well, bamboo!
Bamboo is naturally lightweight, strong, and antibacterial, ideal for something that rests on your face all day.
And growing bamboo is remarkably low impact: it takes less room, grows faster, and requires less replanting, fertilizer, and water. Despite this, bamboo forests produce more oxygen than traditional woods.
Bamboo can't quite do it all though and with the introduction of our watch collection, additional sustainable materials were needed. So we used bamboo where we could and balanced the natural beauty of its wood grain with sustainable Portuguese cork as well as recycled metals.
The concept of "fashion with a purpose" was a cornerstone of our founding philosophy and it remains central to the work we do today. We are determined to be a force for good, both for people and the planet.
For each and every product we sell, a portion of the sale will be donated to charities to help those in need. We ensure that every dollar spent here is a step towards a better world.
Our global charitable network is ever-growing, but here are a few highlights:
- We're a proud member of 1% for the Planet.
- We helped Optometry Giving Sight screen nearly 4 million people, deliver more than 27,000 pairs of glasses, and support 16 optical labs and 116 optometry students in 39 countries.
- We’ve supported 12 microloans in 10 countries through Kiva.
- We've helped Pencils of Promise change the lives of nearly 100,000 students.
- We're helping the Washington’s National Park Fund to protect and nurture some of the most beautiful forests in the Pacific NorthWest.
- We offer all our customers the opportunity to help offset the environmental costs of shipping through our partnership with One Tree Planted.
DID YOU KNOW?
Many wooden glasses are made from endangered trees such as Walnut, Maple, & Zebrawood. Harvesting these woods means completely destroying the tree. :(